INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
The pool will not open when the air temperature is below 70 degrees. Closing the pool will be determined every morning around 9:30 and re-evaluated around 2:30 p.m.If thunder or lightning occurs, all swimmers will be asked to vacate the water for 30 minutes.
SWSA RULES & REGULATIONS
GENERAL FACILITY RULES:
- All members must sign in at the pool house. Guests must be registered and accompanied by a member.
- Members receive 20 guest passes and Emeritus Members receive 10 passes; additional passes may be purchased for $4 per pass.
- Only on-duty guards and board members are permitted in the guardhouse.
- Food and drink are permitted on the deck only.
- Members are responsible for the disposal of trash and use of the recycling containers for aluminum and plastic bottles.
- The following are not permitted at the pool or on the grounds of Southwest:
- Glass containers
- Alcoholic beverages
- Illegal drugs (authorities will be called if drug use is suspected)
- Smoking, including electronic cigarettes
- Firearms or other weapons
- Vulgar language, lewd or crude behavior
- Inappropriate physical displays of affection
- Vandalism or improper use of facilities, equipment or furniture
- Children ages 9 and under must be accompanied by a responsible adult or childcare provider.
- Wading pool is reserved for children ages 5 and under. Supervision by a responsible adult or child care provider is required at all times.
- Each member child may receive one session of swim lessons; additional sessions may be obtained for an additional fee.
- When marked, the northernmost lane is reserved for lap swimmers. Be courteous and avoid crossing the lane when in use.
- At the onset of thunder, lightning, or rain affecting water visibility, swimmers must leave the pool and clear the pool deck for at least thirty minutes while management reviews conditions and deems them safe for re-entry.
- All parties held during regular hours or after hours must be scheduled in advance in writing with the staff. After-hours parties are available for a fee. All parties are scheduled on first come-first served basis. Party forms are needed when members bring more than 5 guests (forms are found under the “events” tab on this website or in the guardhouse).
- The following are not permitted:
- Cut-off jeans and thongs (appropriate swimwear must be worn at all times).
- Bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters on the pool deck, basketball or tennis courts.
- Running on the deck, unsafe play and rowdiness.
WATER SAFETY: SWSA follows Red Cross guidelines for your safety.
- Members and guests are expected to promptly and respectfully comply with guard directions.
- Swimming is strictly prohibited when there is no lifeguard on the guard stand.
- Neither members nor guests may interfere with or sit alongside a guard on duty.
- Only Coast Guard Approved Personal Safety Devices are allowed. SWSA provides Coast Guard Approved jackets/wings for the use of adult or child members and guests. Staff members will assist in fitting the device properly.
- In the situation where a swimmer whose skills are inadequate for the water depth in which they are swimming is identified by a lifeguard, the swimmer will be required to wear a Coast Guard Approved Personal Safety Device or the swimmer will be restricted to a depth-appropriate area for their skill level.
- The following are not permitted:
- Rafts, tubes, water wings, baby saucers, and water guns. (The manager or lifeguard may allow these items under special conditions)
- Hard balls of any kind.
- During use of the water basketball hoop: touching the rim, playing from the deck, or rough play.
- Slapping the noodles or kick boards.
WATER SAFETY: DIVING WELL
- All persons using the diving boards must be able to swim the width of the diving area. In the situation that an individual is unable to meet the swim requirements, the option of wearing a Coast Guard Approved Personal Safety Device or having a staff lifeguard “catch” a person are allowed. A parent is not allowed to “catch” their child.
- Use of the diving boards is limited to one person at a time.
- Divers should only bounce once on the board.
- Goggles are not allowed when using the diving board.
WATER SAFETY: SUNDECK
- Sitting or hanging on the sundeck wall at the edge of the swim lane is not allowed.
- Excessive rowdiness, handstands, or diving are not allowed in the sundeck area.
If a member or guest has a medical condition, allergy or special needs which may require accommodation, please discuss with pool management.
SWSA staff is responsible for enforcing the SWSA rules and regulations. Consequences for violations will be imposed the discretion of the SWSA Staff, subject to the following:
All staff may impose immediate sanctions to assure safety, order and protection of property. Immediate sanctions include warnings, temporary removal from the pool or other area, restrictions on behaviors.
Pool Managers on duty may impose additional sanctions, including:
- Verbal Notice to the member, parents, guardians and guests;
- Written Notice to the member, parents guardians and guests;
- Temporary loss of pool and grounds privileges;
- Termination of membership and permanent removal from the pool and grounds, upon approval of the SWSA Board of Directors, in accordance with the SWSA Bylaws.
Factors to be considered in determining sanctions include:
- Level of intent;
- Risk to safety;
- Harm to property;
- Previous rule violations and sanctions.
Please also see the Southwest Swimming Association Bylaws (revision 2016).
Questions or comments, please contact the Pool Manager at the Guardhouse or email the Board.